Recipes – Easy White Chili
EASY WHITE CHILI
Tasty white chili can easily be part of the NB program. Leave out the chiles if you desire as they are not recommended on the program. The beans are best cooked ahead of time so they are soft and recipe-ready. The original recipe called for canned beans but it is must better to cook the beans from scratch and avoid “canned” products.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 cooked chicken breasts half – chopped
- 1 quart of chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 chopped green chile peppers (not part of NB program – leave out if you like)
- 70 ounces or 8 to 10 cups of cooked white beans (equivalent to 5 cans of beans)
- 1 cup of shredded Monterey Jack Cheese shredded (preferably raw)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 10 minutes, or until onions are tender. Add the chicken, chicken broth, green chile peppers, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and add the cooked beans. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until heated thoroughly. Pour into individual bowls and top with the cheese.