Recipes – Sweet Potato Hash Brown Egg Cup
Sweet Potato Hash Brown Egg Cup
Cook time:30 minutes Prep time:20 minutes Servings:12
Eggs and hash browns go together like, well, eggs and hash browns! But eating them in a muffin-form makes them even better. This is a great recipe to make on a Sunday morning because if you have leftovers, they are the perfect breakfast on-the-go for later in the week.
Technique tip: Squeezing the grated potatoes in a paper towel before baking them will remove excess water and make for a crispier hash brown shell.
You can also experiment by adding veggies or cheese before placing the eggs on top.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cups grated sweet potato or sweet potato tater tots (defrosted)
- 12 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the onions and sauté for a few minutes. Add the tater tots, season with salt and pepper and sauté for roughly 10 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, break them up while they cook so they resemble hash browns. Or line the tins with the grated sweet potatoes. Set aside.
- Line a few paper towels in a large colander. Place sweet potato mixture into the paper towel. Wrap up the potatoes with the paper towel and squeeze out as much water as you can. Then place in a large bowl.
- Butter the muffin tin.
- Take a few tablespoons of the hash brown mixture and place in each cup, using fingers or a rubber spatula to push the potatoes into the bottoms and up the sides of the cup, creating a tight nest. Brush again with a little butter.
- Place hash browns into oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Crack one egg into each cup. Season tops with salt and pepper. Place back in oven and cook for another 15 minutes, until whites of eggs have set (you can cook for longer if you prefer a firmer yolk).
- Serve as is, or top with veggies and cheese, or other toppings of your choice.