Recipes – Green Lentil Curry
Lentils are great to add to your eating plan once or twice a week. Here is a great Green Lentil Curry recipe that also adds green beans and kale to the mix. I left out the small amount of tomato paste since tomatoes are not included in the eating plan. If you want to add the tomato paste – add 1 tbs or paste with 1 tbs of water.
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, mashed to a paste
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 1/4 cups dried green lentils
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 ounces green beans, cut into 3/4-inch lengths
- 4 ounces kale, stemmed and leaves finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- In a small bowl, combine the ginger, garlic, coriander and ground cumin. Stir in 1/4 cup of water to make a paste. In a small skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the cumin seeds and cook over moderately high heat for 5 seconds, just until sizzling. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add the spice paste and let cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. If adding the tomato paste, do so at the end and cook until thick about 1 minute longer.
- In a saucepan, combine the lentils with the turmeric and 5 cups of water; bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, until the lentils are barely tender. Add the green beans, kale, carrot, three-fourths of the cilantro and the cayenne and season with salt. Cook until the lentils and vegetables are tender, 15 minutes. Scrape in the spice paste and the remaining cilantro. Simmer for 5 minutes, then serve.