Recipes – Chicken and Root Vegetable Stew
This stew with chicken and root vegetables is delicious with a Moroccan style fling!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces skinless boneless chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams)
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled parsnips
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled turnips
- 1 cup 1/2-inch pieces peeled rutabaga
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- Chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pot and sauté until light golden but not cooked through, about 1 minute. Transfer chicken to bowl.
Add onion to pot and sauté until golden, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Add curry powder and cumin and stir 30 seconds. Add sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, and stock. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Add chicken with any accumulated juices to pot. Simmer until chicken is cooked through and flavors blend, about 5 minutes longer. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.