Recipes – Beef Stew with Root Vegetables
A wonderful beef stew with root vegetables that will warm your heart and toes on a winter day. You can use lamb in lieu of the beef if you like.
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 ½ to 2 lbs of beef stew meat
1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
3 garlic cloves –minced
1 medium onion – diced
12 ounces of beer (tenderized meat but can be omitted)
4 cups of beef broth, more if omitting beer
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
2 – 3 tablespoons of tomato paste –(can be omitted)
½ teaspoon paprika
2 carrots – peeled and sliced
2 parsnips – peeled and sliced
1 small turnip – peeled and sliced
1 to 2 rutabagas – peeled and sliced
Arrowroot to thicken – (as needed)
Fresh parsley for garnish
- Trim excess fat off the beef and cut into 2″ cubes.
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan. You can cook this in a dutch oven or slow cooker.
- Season beef with salt & pepper. Add beef to hot pan and brown the beef.
- Remove the beef from the pan, add the garlic and onions and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the beer or just the beef broth. You can start with about half of the broth and add more as needed. You may not need to use all the broth.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and paprika.
- Return the beef to the pan, cover and simmer on a low heat until the meat is very tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. *This may take longer depending on how large your beef chunks are.
- If the liquid level gets too low, add more broth as needed.
- About 30-45 minutes before the beef is tender, add the carrots, potatoes, parsnips and turnips and continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is reduced, about 30 minutes. Or place everything in a slow cooker and cook for 4 to 6 hours.
- If the stew is still too thin, remove a cup of the liquid and add a little arrowroot to the liquid.
- Add the mixture back to the pan and stir until desired thickness.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until the stew is thick. The meat should be very tender; if it’s tough, let it continue to cook.
- To finish, add the parsley and stir through the stew.